Saturday, April 17, 2010

Crossing the Mind

I just finished my normal routine of looking for the perfect Ali photo to use as an alliteration to how I feel and what I'm about to talk about in my blog. It works every time but this time.















I saw this photo earlier today and it just kind of hit home. I'll go ahead and take the fun out of it for you. Kanye's sitting down here out of character just as himself - not the person he uses to alliterate on album covers and such. And something's brought his new life to a halt. Now there's something I can relate to.

People change as time goes on. There are plenty of folks who live where I did 15 years ago who are doing the very same thing in the very same place - just 15 years later. That's pretty common w/ a lot of people as well. But what about those people you met along the way - between where we started and where we are now? What if no one could stay where they were because that place is literally gone?

This is the life we've been making. And while a lot of people I know have a strong sense of connection to people they grew up w/ in school, I don't know many who feel a sense of connection so strong with the ones they met along the way. I'm different.

I've developed so many relationships with so many people. The numbers have to be in the millions. With the invent of things like Facebook and such, I've had to really scrutinize the degree of relationship I have w/ certain people. Bascically, if you don't bring something to the table, you don't sit at my table - except for a very few people who are always welcome. Whether present or not, no one may fill their seat.

One of those people just sat back down at the table a couple days ago after about ten years on the run. The life I've built since the last time we spoke came to a screeching halt. 

They're not in the same condition as the last time I saw them and I'm more worried now than I was while they were gone. I desperately want to know what's happened and what is happening. It's affecting my sleep and found its way into my daily thoughts. I think this kind of worrying tells me something isn't right.

Nonetheless, it's wonderful to have her back at the table.

No comments: