Thursday, March 26, 2009

You Remember
























We all remember where we were for things like 9/11 or for those of you before my time - the Kennedy assassinations.

But for adventure sport enthusiasts, especially skiers, we will all remember exactly what we were doing when we learned Shane McConkey passed away.

I'll remember having missed the instant message from Luke about it when I got home.

His ski failed to release on a BASE jump in the Italian Dolomite Mountains just a few hours ago. My heart goes out to Shane's wife and three-year-old daughter.

I'm somewhere between devastated, inspired, angry and numb.

It just occurred to me that Shane is immortalized among the Chuck Yeagers and Alan Shepards of the world. He was on a whole nother level - I just never realized it.

Rest in peace Shane. We are all better people for having known you.

No comments: