Monday, January 31, 2011

Racin' Jason: Life at Terminal Velocity

I got that name as a kid. Racin' Jason my uncles and aunts would call me. And if you know anything about me, you know I still uphold that title. While it used to cripple me as a kid, I've learned to harness it as an adult and focus most of it toward my goals.

My boss told me a few months ago he needed me moving at 90 mph and I was only doing 65. Imagine that - Jason Tross not going fast enough. I'm sure you're thinking what I was thinking then.

Well he'd be proud to know I far exceeded his (and my own) expectation by reaching terminal velocity through December and screaming into January and my time here and knocking out the toughest obstacles in groups of fives. But just as I figured, I'd have a hard stop at the wall when things simplified - and they're about to.

Being here and moving at this speed is putting forces on me I never anticipated, nor have I previously experienced in anything I've done. I'm reaching goals at record speeds and seeing instantaneous results. But then come the risks of being at terminal velocity - it's terminal right?

Imagine what a bug feels like at this speed. Then imagine how hitting anything feels. It's enough to kill you - let alone the ground that's screaming toward your face. It's now time to pull the chute and take in the ride. This won't be my last jump. I'm sure of that. If nothing else, I can feel confident that I can operate at this speed again later (which I'll likely have to) and I'll also be able to pull the chute in a moment's notice.

Lastly, it's the risk of the dives that keep people like me doing work like this. It's what I've wanted for so long. Now I'm finally here. Almost every year for the past five years, I've been at the Snowsports Industry of America (SIA) tradeshow hustling as fast as I could to make my mark on the ski and snowboard industry. These past two weeks while nearly everyone I know was doing the big show there and in Aspen at the ESPN Winter X-Games, I wasn't. And just as I presumed - I wouldn't rather be anywhere but here doing what I'm doing.

It's been one hell of a dive.

No comments: