Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

Ten years ago, today, I boarded a plane with my best new Navy friend, Spencer Morton. We flew from Baltimore, MD to Newark to have my last Thanksgiving at Aunt Barb's house in Denville, NJ. Jill had just gotten out of the Navy and brought Morty and I on the train to NYC for my first time in too long. It was a cleaner Guilani city. I hardly recognized it as the spray painted rough house of my childhood. It was the last time I saw the twin towers and the last time I really remember my sister feeling good about herself. I remember coming home in uniform too - this was the first time I'd seen my parents since my bootcamp graduation on November 4. I remember trying to explain to my mother what a big deal it was to go outside without a cover (hat). We had dinner at Steve and Sue's house and my united family, at that time, welcomed Morty and I with loving arms. It was truly wonderful.
Lots of things never happened again after that day. I had no idea it would be so profound in my memory. The whole three days helped me identify who I am or would be for the rest of my life.
I'm thankful for those days:
Morty, Huddy, Singleton, Mac, Rm. 104, my family, NYC, the Thanksgiving Day Parade, Nat Sherman, New Jersey and more - flying for the holidays, wet smelly leaves, damp cold, turkey, canned cranberries, spilled cranberry juice, football and last night's dream about Murray Hill. Man...

No comments: