Thursday, September 24, 2009

"And the Flames Went Higher"

I didn't realize it was buring till I pulled over on the side of the road.


^This poor Westy didn't make it. Luckily that's not mine.

Just an hour before hand I'd picked Hannah up from school with Charlie Brown as promised. No sooner had I opened the door and she ran to the van, stretched out her arms and gave it as best a hug someone can - especially for a four-year-old.

Now Chuck was running a little bad as we left Aberdeen for the new house in Olympia - packed up with Lindsay's new iMac and most of our more valued posessions. I had to get the van up to Oly so I could work on the fuel starving issue. Basically it wouldn't take but a few gallons at the pump and then spew the rest.

I stopped about 1/4 of the way to Olympia to fill up my extra gas tank. I carry two extra gallons since the gas gauge is broken. One mile back on the highway poor Chuck could hardly hold 40 mph, so I stopped to let him cool down and breathe a bit.

Hannah wanted to know what was going on and so did I. No sooner had I noticed flames coming from the motor and tail pipe, jumped back inside, snatched her out - all while thinking about the fresh two gallons of gas sitting directly above the motor/fire.

I could have faught the fire w/ Hannah's tears as she cried for Charlie Brown, "he getting fired Daddy, Charlie Brown is buring all up!"




All our stuff and beloved Westfalia were going up in flames till a motivated citizen stopped to help out. I told him to leave the damn thing alone because of that gas, but he managed to use a balled up sweatshirt to get the back hatch open and removed the motor cover.

Just then, the first of two cops showed up w/ functioning fire extinguishers and hit the motor.

"Boy you're lucky we got that thing out," he said as flames started coming out of the dash board vents.

That's when he covered my dash and seat w/ fire retardant. I cringed as Hannah happily thanked the officers and firemen for saving her Charlie Brown. Maybe seeing things from Hannah's perspective is the best for this situation.

Chuck is now at the VW hospital of German Engineering here in Olympia. Bill, my new mechanic, says he can bring Charlie Brown back to life again. Actually, he used the term "resurrect."

Good thing.

No comments: