Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Edge of Never

 Eric Iberg hit me up the other day w/ an idea. How bout' premiering this movie in Olympia at the Capitol Theater. The answer is yes - because the very people in this story impacted my life so much.

One of the first things I remember from my first big ski assignment was meeting then Powder Magazine Editor Derek Taylor early 2004.

DT and I shared a couple beers and he told me about this kid running around. He was the son of the big-mountain pioneer and legend Trevor Petersen.

That was the definitive point where I knew the skiing world was something I'd be involved with for the rest of my life.

Trevor, like many other mountain men, died skiing the mountains he loved so much. His son Kye was not left alone afterward. Rather, he was proudly raised by his mother and father's friends and admirers - including a very proud Derek Taylor.

I admired DT's sincerity and commitment and agreed to work at his magazine the following year where Kye started showing up in ads, photos and stories.

All eyes have been on Kye as he matures into one of the most talented skiers on the planet. He teamed up with the late Peter Jennings and author Bill Kerig to produce a documentary of his journey to the very same run that claimed his father.

He is joined by his father's friends - ski legends Glen Plake and Mike Hattrup, Eric Pehota and others to go after a dream. Who isn't inspired by that?

So I'll be trying to put this showing together over the next few weeks. Wish me luck and come to the show!

No comments: