Sunday, September 27, 2009

Dr. Muir Wrote the VW Bible


This book came w/ my Westfalia. I read the first 100 pages in one sitting. That's gotta be some sort of record as I usually don't make it through the prologue.

I'll be researching within it for the cause of my fire although I think it was covered in the 100 pages I read. Author Dr. John Muir says the fastest way to burn up your aircooled VW is to drive it in too high of a gear around town. He specifically uses the third gear at 30 mph scenario. 




I have a sneaking suspicion Charlie Brown (not me) was running his motor too hard in too high of a gear. However, it was the only way it would even hold even close to a highway speed - all of 45 mph in 4th gear.

Here's my thesis - the aircooled van was overheating because the fan, which runs off the crank shaft, was not spinning fast enough to cool the motor. It doesn't explain what made the  engine compartment spew flames.

Chuck's new doctor, Bill at German Engineering in Olympia, suspects a wiring problem - basically a short that caused the motor to respond the way it did and finally caused the spark. He also suspects he can resurrect Chuck.

I wonder what the late Dr. Muir would have to say about trying to resurrect Charlie Brown.

No comments: