Friday, December 25, 2009

My Night Before Christmas

It's about to end as I turn for bed. Morning will come no matter what and Hannah will wake up and open her presents. Then this all goes into history.

Any of you ever realize you will remember something forever - as it's happening?




That's what happened to me this evening while reading five stories to Hannah before bed. One of those stories was The Night Before Christmas.

We decided after a long night at Nana and Grandpa Dusty's house, we'd head home and get the milk and cookies ready for Santa. Then we'd read stories till Hannah got tired. She's listening to Bing Crosby and racked out - thinking of Santa Claus and presents in the morning.

I knew this point would come sometime and imagined it a lot. Now there's reality.

We have no snow for a white Christmas and there's none in the forecast. I'm turning 30 tomorrow, behind on work and about to take the gratuitous bite of cookie and drink of milk before waking up to the best present a person can get - watching your child go nuts Christmas morning.

I'm just glad I thought to take the time to document this incredible feeling. It's everything I ever hoped it would be. I really have a family - one so much better than I could ever have imagined.

Merry Christmas to all - and to all a good night.

No comments: