Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Big (geek) Things

Thanks Steve - even though I was cursing your name earlier today. Thanks for making a laptop so simple a neanderthal, or me, could tear it apart and put it back together.



Here's how the day started - me tearing apart three Mac laptop computers in the hopes of putting together one machine which has all of the following working parts: screen, battery, DVD/CD drive, wifi card and built-in camera. Well I'm a bit closer now having repaired Lindsay's MacBook optical drive. However, it still needs a battery. I also fixed the noisy fan in my MacBook Pro, but was unable to repair the internal AirPort Extreme wifi card. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a new card.

Lastly, I scoured through my isssued PowerBook G4 to make sure everything was maxed out in terms of memory. And it certainly is. I think Hannah needs one of those computers. They're pretty cool. Anyhow, I feel pretty comfortable replacing these parts as they come in.

Between yesterday's breakthroughs w/ Charlie Brown's fuel delivery issues and today's personal record-breaking computer work, I'm thinking a bit more like an engineer. And that has some relevance to current life.

One of the nice things about today's work was using online videos and downloading killer manuals. I think someone should make one about starting a business. It's not really that difficult. Anyone can do it. Just because it can be done by anyone, doesn't mean anyone who does it is doing it right though.

I enjoyed the process of reversing my steps while putting things back together. It helped me realize that everything I'm doing right now comes in steps and it can't be rushed. Each phase needs to have the appropriate amount of time and energy dedicated to it in order to come out well. It all matters once you put the machine back together and start relying on it. After all, I certainly hope I can rely on my own work to sustain my lifestyle.

The business plan is the engineering of a business. I could go on forever, but I'm sure you get the message. Plus I'm really tired.

No comments: