Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Reporting From LaLa Land

There's something to be said about writing while high. Actually there's quite a bit to say in this case.




I just got back from my knee surgery a couple hours ago. As my earlier blog post described - I went in to have a 9mm-long piece of foreign debris removed from my right knee. The piece has been floating around my joint for at least five years now.

We're not exactly sure where the piece came from. However wholeheartedly believe it is from a dislocation I suffered around March of 2004.

I underwent surgery for the injury with a doctor I really didn't like or trust, but I was on the Navy's dollar and feared further chastising/harassment if I didn't just follow through w/ surgery. The doctor's bedside manner was atrocious and he repeatedly tried convincing me there was nothing wrong w/ my knee - even though it occasionally and inconsistently swelled to the size of a grapefruit after or during physical activity like running or sometimes skiing.

Having already undergone corrective surgery on my right knee - I was familiar w/ the recovery procedure. This time was a bit different though. Rather than feel relief in the joint, I felt pressure. Also, as I began physical therapy and bending, I could feel some kind of muscle protrusion from the underside of my lower-inside quadricep. That muscle never grew back despite my working hard at it and within a few months I began to notice this protrusion moved around. Since then, I've always had a loose piece float around in my knee.

It broke free and moved around for the 05,06,07,08,09 and what felt like again yesterday.

I had an MRI a couple weeks back showing the foreign body at the back of my knee in what appeared to be a fluid sack.

Well Dr. Helpenstell didn't find the object, but found lots of arthritis and smaller debris which he feels is generated when my knee cartilage is forced to rub together. He vigorously searched for the large piece, but couldn't find it.

I'm hoping what he sucked out of the joint was the remnants of that 9mm-long piece - having smashed it to smitherenes yesterday while shredding pow at Crystal. If not - I'm up for another surgery. Let's just hope we get it.

Here's what an arthritic knee looks like - and at 29 years old...


No comments: