Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Forerunner

You know what that is?

Me neither - till about two hours ago at the last bar we hit up.

The forerunner is the first person to take the heli to the top of the course and ski down - basically kicking off the event for the day. Well tomorrow is the finals of the Freeskiing World Tour and guess who gets to go first - it's me.

Now I've been able to participate in all kinds of stuff that's made me feel small or stoked - but this is one of those once-in-a-lifetime moments that you'll remember forever. I can't even sleep.

Whether it's tomorrow or Sunday, depending on weather, I'm going in the helicopter to the top of the most difficult course in freeskiing. This is like throwing out the first pitch of the World Series. I'm just blown away at the honor of being the first one after so many of my friends and the other competitors have given so much more than me - not to mention how much more skilled they are than me.

No wasting the opportunity though. I'm in it and I'll just ski the way I know how - but all these incredibly talented people will be (and have been all night) cheering for me.

How did this happen??

For sure to write more in the a.m. afterward.

No comments: