Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Lower Wat

I just wanted to take a few minutes before I pass out here to sleep to highlight probably the coolest day I've had here yet in Cambodia.



The day began super early with my favorite server at the Independence Hotel - Mary. Just like CARAT staffers Admiral Tyson and Maj. Turnbull, it was Mary's birthday yesterday. But rather than go party it up at the Angkor brewery like the rest of us, the newly turned 18-year-old woman stayed home making a very special bracelet for Hannah. She's making one similar for my that has my name written in Khmer. How cool right?

Breakfast was wonderful and I departed for Village d'Enfant - another local orphanage near the hotel. Yet again - Sailors and Marines played together long enough to get a couple rooms painted for the kids and get the asses handed to them in soccer. Pretty cool to see everyone's energy over here about soccer right now w/ the World Cup going on. The best part was a traditional Khmer dance the kids performed to kick things off. I mean - it's really beautiful.



After getting the photos edited and captioned, I borrowed someone's driver and went pagoda hunting around the area and ended at the lower Sihanoukville Pagoda. It's also a monk school w/ about 300 monks living and studying on site. My driver and fill-in translator, Zhee, and I toured the temple and campus where we found Thai Rin, a high-school graduate monk pursuing college right now. Thai Rin spoke very good English like most of the monks who live there. I'll have to write about each of these experiences tomorrow morning.


I'm having trouble uploading more photos, but rest assured I'll make it happen.

No comments: