Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Singaporean Pub Hunting

Can't say I didn't see this coming, but I'm outta here a bit earlier than planned. Flight leaves tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. Bummer right?

A 5:30 departure means I need to be there by 3:30 and prolly leave for the airport at about 3 or earlier. I've decided to stay up all night - which is really only about another four hours. No big deal.

In the meantime I've decided to search for great beer in Singapore. Now let me put this into perspective. Finding even a good beer in most of Asia means turning toward the European and more known beers. The only exception I've found thus far in terms of Asian beers is Angkor in Cambodia.



Not shown in the ad above, but give that stout a try if you get a chance. It was surprisingly good till I met the head brewer. He left Cambodia to work for Guiness about 20 years ago. He returned in 1997 to start his own gig. Let's just say the stuff is pretty freakin' awesome. Careful - that stout I refer to is a whopping 8-percent alcohol. It'll getcha!

As for Singapore, I haven't found a local beer I really like yet. Tiger is the mainstay, but it's basically the Miller Lite of Asia. It's drinkable, but that's about it. And w/ what they charge for it, anywhere from $10-15 Sing, it's definitely not worth it.


Last but not least, I finally found great beer. Lucky for me it's in Little India - practically the only place in Singapore w/ authentic culture and any semblance of reality within this society based on pure and disgusting consumption. Here you'll find the Prince of Wales backpacker bar.

Even luckier for me, they don't really serve Asian beer. Bring on the Aussie stuff. The POW, as they call it, is the only bar outside Australia to serve this boutique microbrew beer. I feel doubly fortunate now being able to drink it fresh from the tap among the international backpacker crowd of the Swede beside me and the Aussies behind the bar. Good stuff w/ good times. Rather than cruise all the pubs I found on the websites, I luckily stumbled upon this place w/ clearly the best beer int the country - which is really a city on an island.

This hoppy pale ale is made by Grand Ridge Brewery, based out of Gippsland, Australia and somehow the owner of this place is friends of the owner of that place. Nonetheless, I highly recommend coming in here to this backpacker bar w/ attached hostel before paying the astronomical prices at the "breweries" along the waterfront. Keep in mind it's all about the adventure.



It's time for me to mosey on back to the hotel, grab my bags and head toward the airport. Sleeping in would be really nice, but so will waking up in Olympia, Washington. It's about time.

No comments: