Saturday, December 13, 2008

Back in Black

So I'm back - back on the base in Bremerton. This place is like a high school for grown ups who aren't grown up enough to live on their own. Seems I'm still one of them.
This was my first duty station as a 19-year-old Sailor in March of 1999 when I reported to the USS Sacramento (AOE 1). There are so many memories of the subsequent three years I spent when our ship was homeported here. I can't go into all of them but wow. It's crazy how normal, comfortable and surreal the whole experience can be.
What was new then is not new now and seems like a state of near decay. It's insane to find parking and driving is nearly fucking useless - it's a mess. No parking garages anymore either. Kind of makes this place look deserted from what it once was. Things sure have taken a beating and I guess I helped contribute to it.
It's 1:10 a.m. and I need to be up in a few hours. I guess some things never change.

No comments: