Saturday, December 20, 2008

From Dusty Shattuck:

A very realistic glimpse of life - real life when the Greatest Generation came together to make our country great. Let's hope we never lose sight of this and can learn to emulate it. It's why we have what we have.

This is a letter from Dusty Shattuck to his grandson about his life at eight years old in 1941 - just as Pearl Harbor was bombed. Notice the willingness of every American to sacrifice for the good of the nation and world as a whole. Can America still do this?
December 7, 2008

Tanner,

Thank you and your teacher for being concerned about us “older” members of society. Not only is this a good project for you and your teachers, it has made me think a lot about when I was your age. I think your teacher and you will think that a lot of the things I’m about to say today were either quite funny or by today’s standards, not “cool”.

I lived in Marshfield, Oregon (now Coos Bay) in 1941. It just so happens that while I am writing this, it is also Dec. 7th. Maybe your teacher will explain the significance of that date to you and your class.
Most of the moms then were “stay at home” moms and the women that did work were usually secretaries, nurses and teachers. I don’t remember any men teachers in the school, and didn’t have one until I got in High School. I didn’t really like school. Recess was always my favorite subject. I was the only boy in the family and always thought that I had to do all the work, like mowing the lawn (no power mowers then) and putting the winter’s wood in the basement. We walked to school then, and I always thought it was at least 5 miles but I have since seen that it was only less than one.

I did not get an allowance so I used to collect beer bottles and sell them for a penny each, peeled cascara bark, and sold newspapers. No, I didn’t do them steady…just when I wanted money. I also took piano lessons but would rather play ball and other games. I think my folks knew they were wasting their money. For entertainment we made scooters out of a 2X4 and an old apple box, plus one skate (I’ll try to enclose a picture.)
We raced our wagons and played Kick the can, Hide and Seek, and marbles. (Girls weren’t allowed to play marbles. They played jacks.)
Girls always wore dresses to school. Certain foods and other things were hard to get then because of the war. Rationing and stamps were the thing (teacher needs to explain this). Things that were rationed and hard to get were sugar, shortening, meat, shoes, and there was almost no candy or gum. We bought savings stamps at school to help the war effort. On the beach there were military people constantly on the lookout for the enemy. There were lots of big guns on the hills overlooking the ocean. We also had practice air raid drills, and we had to turn off our lights or pull down shades to keep us dark. A lot of people had gardens to get food. They were called “Victory” gardens.

My favorite people then were the policemen, firemen, and people in the military. I’m not saying we didn’t have crime then, but maybe I was just too young to know it. I think we trusted all adults. I was never scared to walk to town by myself. Later at this age we moved to Portland so that my dad could go to work in the shipyards to help build Liberty ships. I also went to San Francisco on the train by myself. Not safe today.

No TV, cell phones or any of the gadgets that kids have today. We made up or own games and played a lot outdoors. Forts, camps, and parties, mostly run by kids. I think it was good for us.

We always had a Christmas tree, but I don’t remember outdoor decorations. Maybe it was the war or the cost of electricity. We didn’t get a lot at Christmas, but do remember getting clothes. I always bought my mom and dad something, but not my sister. I think I even bought a sock filled with doggie bones for the dog.

I don’t think we ever went anyplace then for vacations because gas was also rationed. We had to have gas stamps to buy gas. They were worth more than money.

We did go to movies once in a while and I think it cost 10 cents. There was always the main movie, ‘newsreels”, and a cartoon. Some of the movies I remember were Gulliver’s Travels; Pinochio; and Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. My sister and I always went by ourselves. Dad never went, and I can’t remember if my mother did. Fifteen cents paid for the movie and a treat cost 5 cents. My folks also saw that we went to church regularly but they didn’t go. Everybody always dressed up to go and even at my young age, I didn’t think the dressing up should be important. A lot of people come today without dressing up, and that’s good.

I shouldn’t tell the next story but I think it is important. I stole a rubber ball from a dime store once. When I got home my mom questioned me about it and immediately knew where it came from. She made me take it back and I think apologize to the owner. That was a good lesson for me at that young age, and hopefully has stayed with me.

Well, Tanner, I hope you got something out of this story. I did.

Grandpa Shattuck
75 years old

No comments: