Monday, December 8, 2008

Time is Money

I came up with a great analogy about life and fulfillment during my twice-monthly Saturday morning drive to class in Olympia. I was thinking about how I was spending my time going back and forth to school and how I could better use that time. Well here's what I came up with.

Time is really the currency of life. In many ways it's like dollars and cents. We are all allotted an amount in the variable unit of a lifespan. This lifespan or lifetime is made up of an undetermined number of years, which are broken down into months, days, hours, minutes and seconds.

Successful people manage their time to live life to the fullest. They are usually financially sound as well. There's a lot of correlation here. We can borrow time. We can waste time, invest time, make time, gain time and buy time - kind of like money.

On the flipside, time is its own currency. Each one of us gets to assess what value our time has and whether how we're spending it is worthwhile - which is a great word to use when you're telling someone you don't have buyer's remorse about something spent on.

Everyone equally has 24 hours in a day. How we spend them greatly determines where we are in life and how we live. I'm making a conscious effort to spend mine better - with the future in mind. I know if I'm spending my minutes efficiently, I'm living well.

Finally, when I'm out of time currency, I'll rest easier knowing I'm debt free and invested my time in the right places. That's the general idea anyhow.

Since I don't have any money, I'll just keep investing time.

No comments: