Thursday, December 18, 2008

Round One

Or maybe this is like round five or six. At any rate, right about now I start to chant my imminent victory or about how great I've done and am about to do. I start feeling like this is how it will always be - this good because I'm just that good at what I do.

Truth is, this is where I start to lose the fight. This is that point where training and talent in the ring put me in position for a knockout, but for some reason I never put him down. I've made this mistake with predictable precision. It's my flaw and I'm trying to fix it.

I've begun to see goals, and life as a whole, like a boxing match. Only the talented, capable and sharpest will ever see the ring - and only a few of those people know how to close the deal and win. It's an art of balance for those who can turn potential into results, and do it consistently. Use experience from losses and wins, training and discipline to carry you the distance. And that phrase runs through my head almost every day, "go the distance." That's how you win. Pick a plan and execute it. So I'm doing it.

While I have all the prerequisites, I haven't put up the numbers. The wins aren't there. I attract the biggest fights and they're always going to "put me on top," but I lose and concentrate on the highlights of my stellar performance before I lost. People like to watch me fight. I look and sound better and my hits are bigger and harder - meaning the ones I take and deliver. It just never seems to add up to a win.

It's time to stop losing. Fighting great doesn't win. Doing whatever it takes to win wins. Longevity, strategy, calculation and walking lightly w/ a heavy stick. Being wise wins. I could put a rundown of my recent wins this month here. It's quite impressive and enough to lift me, or anyone, to a higher level. I'd just rather shout about them when I win because the game hasn't even started yet and I'm not about to give up my strategy.

Suffice to say the champ can still fight and he can still fight his way to the top. All the potential is still there and that's step one. Now I'm ready. Let's go the distance.

No comments: