Friday, July 24, 2009

Hello From Korea



Thais spoil you and that makes being here in Korea a sad culture shock of an experience. No more vibrant people and colorful sights to be had.

It's clear to me the Koreans at this airport could give a shit less if you're here - let alone happy or not. The woman who made my coffee was the only smile out of the hundreds I've smiled to.

It all kind of hit me when I was at the counter here at this internet cafe near my terminal. A woman was trying to pay for a phone card with American dollars. She only had six singles or a hundred, but needed $8.

The woman behind the counter was about to turn her away before I reached for my credit card to pay the measily two-dollar difference.

The woman who needed the money turned to me, clasped her hands together, bowed her head and said, "kawp kun kah." That's how a woman says thank you in Thai. Then she gave me 100 baht and explained she was headed to the US to work for a dying man in Honolulu. She couldn't have been more appreciative.

The woman behind the counter seemed floored at what just happened between us. I think the story says a lot.

Furthermore, while not a person here has even greeted me, I met all these wonderful kids just eight hours ago in Bangkok. Their teacher and I had such a great conversation we exchanged email addresses. These middle and high-school-age kids perform traditional Thai music and dance at the airport. It's absolutely beautiful. I hope to catch it when I return.






No comments: