Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thai Dye

So the name doesn't have much to do w/ the entry - if at all. I just liked it.

Just kidding - it's very clever and deep. You might be intelligent and cultured enough to figure out what it really means if you finish this entry.

I'm drinking beer at the pool again while the Navy figures out how they canceled my flight w/out telling me. And while they do that, they're figuring out how to get me on a plane headed east

And while they do all that - I'm just traveling further and further into Thai culture.

Thais are renown for their kindness, honesty, respectfulness and loyalty. Most of these characteristics flourish from the deep roots of Buddhism here. This religion is ever present in their popular culture and government. There is no separation between the two. With all these wonderful aspects it's easy to forget how every culture has its downside.















The above photo was taken at Wat Pho - home of the shrines and tombs of Thailand's first eight monarchs and a statue of Buddha on his deathbed called the 'reclining Buddha.' Before entering any of temples, everyone must take off their shoes and leave them outisde. I understood this sign all too well.

One of their flaws, much like any other culture I know of, is discrimination. Literature doesn't explore this aspect very much. My Lonely Planet book serves me well here. It describes the people, culture, geography, history and everyday Thai lifestyle for people as a country and more geographically divided into regions. The authors wrote a very informative section of the book about the more all-encompassing characteristics of the culture. One area was gender.

The book lists three genders - man, woman and ladyboy. The authors go on to describe how the 'ladyboy' (or transsexual in our culture) has become a more accepted role in this society. Many boys who feel drawn to the more feminine aspects of life are encouraged to pursue life as a woman.















Hoever, I didn't see this. There are a ton of ladyboys (one of whom is killing us in pool above), but their acceptance is not equal. Just the other day I was following a ladyboy who was employed at the Pattaya Marriot Resort and Spa where we were staying. I went to hold the door open for her and a waitress rushed to the door. She demanded I walk first because this person is a ladyboy and they are less than us - well at least her and me.

It really took me back. I also began to realize no matter how different I am - I'm still farang. That's Thai for westerner or tourist. And just the same way we hate on gapers from the bay and our society as a whole would rather do w/out blacks and mexicans, I am farang - one of the fat and rich white people who come here to rape the country and at like an asshole while I consume everything in sight, believe I'm better than everyone else and act like I'm entitled to whatever I want while I don't take the time to learn or respect the local culture.



















Despite my best efforts to overcome all those stereotypes, I'm one of them. I've been discriminated against and it hurts. No matter what, I feel in some way I deserve it. It makes me appreciate this experience and place in life all that much more. I am farang. I guess we just can't help it.

No comments: