Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Umbrella!















That was today's recurring theme. I started my day off getting a free yellow umbrella from Western Union and gave it away to one of the Thais working here at the hotel. Then I found a whole new umbrella later in the night. I needed both umbrellas because when it rains it pours here - whether it's a monsoon or things going wrong w/ travel. Just another standard day in Thailand...

Sometimes you have excuses not to party. And I had a good one last night. My plane was leaving in just a few very short hours and I couldn't get all banged up and try to board my flight. But things changed when I called to verify my flight departure I learned I was actually going out a day later. So that was the point where I exchanged my excuse not to party for a pretty good excuse to party - not leaving Bangkok and hanging out w/ two hilarious Germans.















These two girls told me a bunch about German culture, from language, customs, geography, smoking and history to what it's like to live as a 20-something in Europe.

Above all I learned Germans freakin' love drinking their beer and love singing while they drink it even more.

I met Stefanie and Noed (I think that is her name - I'm terrible at that) outside the Elephant Bar here as I was checking the last box on my list of things to do while on vacation - have my fancy pants drink.














Now I rarely drink liquor, but I had to try the Thai whiskey. And it was surprisingly good on ice. The ice dilutes the liquor so it's easy to drink. No disappointment with my fancy pants drink, but I was dying for a cigarette and that's where I met the girls. I checked my flight status and got all the excuse I needed to have a great time.

Long story short, we drank very late and they spent most of the evening singing a song about an umbrella. It's really about being so drunk you look worse than the German prime minister, have a hole in your head where your brains fell out and can't function because you love your beer. I couldn't recite the first words they were telling me, due to no lack of effort on their part. But when Stefanie drew a pig and a dog I knew the word - schveinhoot. Sam Rosner used to call people that as some kind of revenge for antisemitism. Not sure what time we called it quits, but what a fantastic time.

Next time I'm drinking beer I'll be packed w/ stories and half-assed songs all thanks to my trip here to Thailand again.

Ciao! (That's German for goodbye)

No comments: